Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

OMG I found a lephrechaun!

I hope you all have enjoyed St. Patty's day! I thought I would get a post in about it before I forget all that happened...

I'm not sure if you know this but St. Patrick's day is NOT celebrated in Spain...at all. This means no one wears green, except by coincidence; you can't pinch anyone; and people look at you funny if you carry a clover around. Now, even though the leprechaun filled day isn't celebrated by the Spanish, there are a ton of foreigners here and people learning English. AND one of the great things about having so many people learning English here is that they also get to learn about all the festivals and traditions that come with the different English speaking countries. So what am I getting at? The official language school here in Lucena put on a great even at our ONE Irish pub in town! And it had quiet a turn out! They even had made an Irish stew (made with beef and Guiness) with potatoes and were giving it out for everyone to try...it was DE-LISH. Now just to hunt down that recipe...

Another cool thing they had going on was if you purchased 2 pints of beer (they also discounted the pints!) they gave you a very festive hat. I really wanted one of the hats so headed straight to the bar and ordered my two pints. Those hats were so popular, as well as the beer, that they even ran out of Guinness before 11pm. I guess everyone wanted those hats haha

The rest of the night was filled with taking lots of crazy pictures and giving out chocolate gold coins (thanks for bringing those over Mom!). My night didn't even end until 4am...but thats becoming a relatively normal time for me now.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and green filled St. Patty's Day! Now for a quick history lesson before I go:

-St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th every year, the anniversary of his death (in the 5th century)
-St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland
-He was taken prisoner, at the age of 16, and during his captivity became deeply religious. After more than six years he escaped and became a missionary. He then went on to become a priest where he had a dual mission: to minister to Christians already living in Ireland and to begin to convert the Irish.
-It is said that he taught the Holy Trinity with three-leaf clovers (although how true that is, I don't know)
-The first St. Patty's Day parade was celebrated in New York City in 1762

Hope you feel smarter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment